[OpenAFS] Re: IBM AFS to OpenAFS upgrade complete... problems continue

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 6 May 2010 09:41:45 -0500

On Thu, 06 May 2010 10:43:47 +0200 (CEST)
Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> > The vlserver could really use a safety check to prevent adding
> > duplicate addresses so this doesn't happen; I'll look into that.
>
> My guess is that you only can get into that state if you have a vldb
> that has a mix of old style entries without UUIDs and new ones. If you
> have had a VLDB for a long time, you can accumulate a lot of crap in
> there...

It's easy to do. If you have a fileserver at address 1.2.3.4, and
another fileserver at address 1.2.3.5, and issue

vos changeaddr 1.2.3.5   1.2.3.4

you've now got an MH entry for 1.2.3.4 and an old-style entry for
1.2.3.4. You can even have multiple old-style entries that way;
VL_ChangeAddr doesn't check the 'destination' IP address pretty much at
all.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net