[OpenAFS] Re: IBM AFS to OpenAFS upgrade complete... problems continue

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi
Thu, 6 May 2010 13:42:14 +0300 (EEST)

Andrew,

> So, you need to remove one of those duplicates. The problem is, the only
> way of specifying a server to remove from the VLDB is by IP address, so
> we can't specify a specific one of those duplicates, since they have the
> same IP. I don't think this will work, but you can try
>
> vos changeaddr 128.214.58.174 -remove
>
> That command is pretty safe; if there are volumes referencing the server
> it tries to delete, it will bail out and give you an error. If it
> succeeds, you should be done.
>
> However, I think when specifying an IP, it will match the MH entry
> first, and I think the MH entry is the one that your volumes are on. So
> it probably won't work (but it's worth a try!).

replicon # /usr/afs/bin/vos changeaddr 128.214.58.174 -remove -localauth -verbose
Could not remove server 128.214.58.174 from the VLDB
VLDB: volume Id exists in the vldb

bond # /usr/afs/bin/vos changeaddr 128.214.88.114 -remove -localauth -verbose
Could not remove server 128.214.88.114 from the VLDB
VLDB: volume Id exists in the vldb

> Assuming that doesn't work... to delete the non-MH entry, you need to
> make 'server ip addr' 0 and 2 have different IP addresses, which means
> changing the 'server ip addr 0' IP address. Does 128.214.58.174 have
> another publicly-reachable IP address? If so, the easiest way would be
> to use 'vos setaddrs' to change that entry to another IP on that
> machine. After that, you can just 'vos changeaddr 128.214.58.174 -remove',
> and then use 'vos setaddrs' to change the IP back to what it was before.

Aaarrghh.

I suppose I could give both machines temporary IP addresses in another
publicly reachable network and do this that way.

> Also, just FYI, as a coworker (Steven Jenkins) mentioned to me, we could
> also possibly give you a patch for vldb_check that would fix this. That
> would require shutting down your vlservers to correct it, though; I
> thought you'd prefer a way that keeps everything up.

Giving the file servers another IP and moving things to that may be
more intrusive than shutting down vlservers for a while (depending on
the definition of "a while", of course) if the clients have anything
like a hard time figuring out that stuff moved from an IP address
to another.  If it's not too much trouble, I think I'd prefer that.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,