[OpenAFS] Re: IBM AFS to OpenAFS upgrade complete... problems continue

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 6 May 2010 10:04:54 -0500

On Thu, 6 May 2010 13:42:14 +0300 (EEST)
Atro Tossavainen <atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Giving the file servers another IP and moving things to that may be
> more intrusive than shutting down vlservers for a while (depending on
> the definition of "a while", of course) if the clients have anything
> like a hard time figuring out that stuff moved from an IP address
> to another.  If it's not too much trouble, I think I'd prefer that.

Giving the fileservers a new IP doesn't involve moving anything; I just
mean adding a pseudo-/sub-/virtual interface with a different address.
The very reason I was suggesting the solution with 'vos' and IP changes
etc, was that it has no downtime (all other options have downtime, as
far as I can tell), or clients getting confused etc.

Assuming these commands all succeed, it'd just be something like:

vos listaddrs -printuuid # get the UUID
ifconfig bge0:1 plumb # or whatever iface
ifconfig bge0:1 1.2.3.4 up
vos setaddrs -uuid theuuid -host 1.2.3.4
vos changeaddr 128.214.58.174 -remove
vos setaddrs -uuid theuuid -host 128.214.58.174

# wait 2 hours, then
ifconfig bge0:1 down
ifconfig bge0:1 unplumb

vldb_check should get the functionality for this anyway, though; it'll
just be a little bit more time.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net