[OpenAFS] mac clients spotlight-indexing AFS

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 10 May 2010 12:57:08 -0400

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:36:02PM -0400, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Dan Pritts <danno@internet2.edu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we've experienced weird slowness issues on some macosx client machines.
> >
> > We eventually traced it down to spotlight attempting to index afs;

I've learned that we did not actually do any traces on spotlight or
network dumps to confirm this.  So I cannot say for sure that this is
really what is happening.

> > adding /afs to the spotlight exclude list has fixed the problem.

This HAS provided relief, whatever the actual root cause is.

> > Should the mac installer automatically add AFS to the spotlight exclude
> > list?  Obviously this sort of thing "should never happen," but explicitly
> > forbidding it doesn't seem like that bad an idea.
>
> it's a network drive, it's not "supposed to" happen.
>
> 10.5? 10.6?

The problem apparently appeared with 10.6.  They were freshly imaged
from a 10.6 master, rather than upgraded from 10.5.  The 10.6-specific
AFS client is on the image.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer