[OpenAFS] forcing coredumpsize in bosserver

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Mon, 17 May 2010 17:40:07 +0200

On May 17, 2010, at 16:57 , Derrick Brashear wrote:

> Folks,
>=20
> I submitted a patch which would use the fact that bosserver runs as
> root to override resource limits and always drop a core. The issue
> it's intended to address is that often people will start bosserver
> from contaminated environments (where coredumpsize is limited) and
> then have a crash, and can provide no data...
>=20
> Is anyone deliberately turning off cores with limit?

yes, we are. Typical servers have more virtual memory than would fit =
onto any filesystem except /vicepx if fully occupied by the server =
process. In addition, core dumps tend to be a security hazard, hence 0 =
is the default limit for any process here. I do see why your preferences =
are different though ;-)

> Would a command
> line switch to bosserver be acceptable to you in lieu of it?

Fine.

- Stephan

--=20
Stephan Wiesand