[OpenAFS] forcing coredumpsize in bosserver

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 17 May 2010 13:15:41 -0400

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Stephan Wiesand
<stephan.wiesand@desy.de> wrote:
> On May 17, 2010, at 16:57 , Derrick Brashear wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I submitted a patch which would use the fact that bosserver runs as
>> root to override resource limits and always drop a core. The issue
>> it's intended to address is that often people will start bosserver
>> from contaminated environments (where coredumpsize is limited) and
>> then have a crash, and can provide no data...
>>
>> Is anyone deliberately turning off cores with limit?
>
> yes, we are. Typical servers have more virtual memory than would fit onto=
 any filesystem except /vicepx if fully occupied by the server process. In =
addition, core dumps tend to be a security hazard, hence 0 is the default l=
imit for any process here. I do see why your preferences are different thou=
gh ;-)

>> Would a command
>> line switch to bosserver be acceptable to you in lieu of it?
>
> Fine.

The patch as in gerrit has been revised to do so, though I have not
tested it yet.

--=20
Derrick