[OpenAFS] AFS hangs, possible nat issues?

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 19 May 2010 16:39:19 +0100

On 19 May 2010, at 13:29, Mark Huijgen wrote:
>=20
> Would it be safe to apply this NAT ping functionality to the 1.4.x
> series also?

Define safe.

The problem here is that this is very definitely new functionality. =
Different people have different views on how "stable" the 1.4.x tree =
should be. Some would like to see it contain only critical bug fixes. =
Others would like all of the new features required by their site to be =
included, but nothing else. Reconciling all of these interests is hard.

It's even harder at this stage in the process, where virtually every =
developer is focussed on (and running) the 1.5.x tree. Backporting =
changes to 1.4.x comes pretty far down the list of priorities, and =
changes which are getting backported are unlikely to see any significant =
testing because we're all running (and testing) git master in an attempt =
to get 1.6 out of the door.

So, at this stage in the game, I suspect we'll be even more conservative =
in terms of what changes go into 1.4.x - a series that probably only has =
one or two releases left in it.

If you want the new stuff, then I'd urge you to run and test 1.5.x. The =
more eyes we can get on that, the better chance we have of producing a =
solid, stable, 1.6.0

Cheers,

Simon.