[OpenAFS] amanda-afs, authentication, and permissions

Lewis, Dave LEWIS@NKI.RFMH.ORG
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 17:07:20 -0400

Hi,

We would like to back up our OpenAFS cell using the latest version of
AMANDA. I got amanda-afs from the amanda wiki and a patch for compiling
it from=20
=09
http://www.mail-archive.com/openafs-info@openafs.org/msg17714.html=20

I'm not sure how to handle authentication and permissions. Since we're
using Kerberos 5 for OpenAFS authentication, I figured that I should use
the "krb5" authentication type in amanda. I can't get that working.
Before I ask an amanda user group I wanted to double-check and ask you
guys:=20

1. Do I really need the "krb5" authentication for AFS backups with
amanda?

2. How would the amanda backup user (amandabackup) have permissions to
read all of the files to back them up?

Server and clients: CentOS 5
OpenAFS 1.4.10 and Kerberos 5 authentication

Thanks,
Dave

Conserve resources. Print only when necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended =
recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is legally priv=
ileged or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in err=
or or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are stri=
ctly prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or cop=
ying the e-mail.  PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-M=
AIL AND DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.  Thank you for your coopera=
tion.