[OpenAFS] add partitions witout restarting afs fileserver

Assarsson, Emil Emil.Assarsson@sonyericsson.com
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:19:34 +0100

Thank you for your fast response :-)
I use lvm2 for the file systems and I were able to resize it without restar=
ting the service.

--
Emil

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Barth [mailto:haba@kth.se]=20
Sent: m=E5ndag den 8 november 2010 14:14
To: Assarsson, Emil
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] add partitions witout restarting afs fileserver

> I'm trying to find out if it's possible to add partitions without
> restarting afs fileserver. Is it? And how can I do it? Or is a
> simple restart not considered to be downtime?

My guess is that you are using 1.4.x and that the answer is no. The
only way to do this wholly transparent for the user with zero downtime
is by juggling over all volumes to another server and then add vicep,
upgrade OS and AFS (you probably should that anyway).

The 1.5 or 1.6 series will have the demand attach fileserver which
will give you fast restart (so fast that your clients will not
time out and then it would not be considered downtime).

Harald.