[OpenAFS] Re: Fair bandwidth distribution, performance of OpenAFS on win32

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:53:02 -0600

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:24:18 +0100
Matthias Gerstner <matthias.gerstner@esolutions.de> wrote:

> > If possible: "don't do that" :) The user is going to get faster
> > compiles on local disk anyway, and I don't expect e.g. intermediary
> > .o files to be very important.
>
> That's understood. The users that do it don't do it for fun but
> because they have sources and sometimes also binaries available on
> different machines without having to sync data at different places all
> the time.

You can (usually) have the sources in AFS, and have the resultant
binaries in AFS, without having to build in AFS. With most (or at least
many) autoconf-enabled source trees, you can just run
/afs/foo/bar/configure while your pwd is somewhere else (e.g. local
disk), make, and 'make install DESTDIR=/afs/somepath' to put the results
somewhere else.

Other build systems do that, too, of course; that's just an example
common with autoconf/GNU-y stuff.

I'm just mentioning that, not to solve your current problem, but if
users want their compiles to not be so slow... but there's many
situations where you can't do that, as Patty mentioned, and some source
trees just plain don't support it, etc etc.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net