[OpenAFS] Re: Fair bandwidth distribution, performance of OpenAFS on win32

Matthias Gerstner matthias.gerstner@esolutions.de
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:40:46 +0100

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:53:02 -0600
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> You can (usually) have the sources in AFS, and have the resultant
> binaries in AFS, without having to build in AFS.

Yes, our buildsystem does support that, too. And I'm doing it this way
whenever feasible.

> I'm just mentioning that, not to solve your current problem, but if
> users want their compiles to not be so slow... but there's many
> situations where you can't do that, as Patty mentioned, and some
> source trees just plain don't support it, etc etc.

I have two reasons to put binaries directly on to AFS:

* being able to access the same binaries from different machines on the
  fly

* put source code plus binaries as a package on a central, publicly
  accessible place where people can refer too it when required. This is
  useful for example when core dumps from customers are coming in which
  were created from a specific software version. Then it is neat to be
  able to have all binaries, source code and symbols from that version

Best regards,

Matthias

--
Matthias Gerstner, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. (FH), Senior Software Engineer
e.solutions GmbH

Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany

Registered Office:
Pascalstr. 5, 85057 Ingolstadt, Germany

Phone +49-8458-3332-672, mailto:Matthias.Gerstner@esolutions.de
Fax +49-8458-3332-20672

e.solutions GmbH
Managing Directors Uwe Reder, Dr. Riclef Schmidt-Clausen
Register Court Ingolstadt HRB 5221