[OpenAFS] End of life for Windows 2000?

Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:37:51 -0500

--------------enigE3FAF08F9D632EA43075D55E

On 11/22/2010 1:24 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
>=20
>> Windows 2000 is now more than ten years old.  If your organization wou=
ld
>> be significantly impacted by removing support for Windows 2000, please=

>> let us know.  My personal opinion is that it is time to declare Window=
>> 2000 unsupported.
>=20
> I wasn't saying anything since we don't have any Windows 2000 that I'm
> aware of, but subsequent discussion has me a bit confused.  We *do* hav=
> lots and lots of Windows XP and expect to continue to have lots of Wind=
ows
> XP for at least another couple of years.  Does Windows XP have the same=

> issue?

There are a larger number of new features and capabilities in Vista and
above that are not supported in XP than between XP and 2000.  However,
the current developer tools still support building for XP.

XP does have the same problem that 2000 does in that it is no longer
supported by Microsoft without an extremely expensive support contract.
Given the fact that so many sites still have XP and Server 2003 systems
in production, I can't imagine deprecating support for XP for at least
another two years.

Jeffrey Altman