[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS website proposal.

Christof Hanke christof.hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:54:07 +0100

Hi Harald,

I really like plone ;-)

Am 25.11.2010 13:58, schrieb Harald Barth:

> * It is a kindasorta web server, but a dumb one, so it needs an apache
>    anyway to front it.
yes, so what ? It is a rendering engine, cacheing and deleivering is=20
done much better by other products (apache, squid).

> * It has some content management backend (zope?) which so far noone has
>    managed to reallt learn, so every upgrade is a 'do we dare' nightmar=

well, you can't really blame that on zope, can  you ?
> * The only way I know to get content into it is the horrible builtin ed=
itor.

There are many other ways.
One Jakub has described (External editor), the other popular one is the=20
FCKEditor http://plone.org/products/fckeditor
Depending on your version of plone you can even use WebDav.

> * There is a markup language, but as noone knows if you can do that par=
ticual
>    thing in the markup language and it is difficult to find out, people
>    write HTML anyway.

Jakub answered this one.
> * I don't know how to get content out again.

This is a problem to all CMSs. What about "wget -r" ?
> * It has builtin user management and what you see depends on if you
>    are logged in or not (the articles have states, like "published"
>    which are not visible for everyone), for me this results in an
>    login-logout-login work cycle.

Well, you might want to use a second browser (there is a nice nordic=20
one), with which you are not authenticated to test the result.
Otherwise, you I can send you instructions how to switch between the=20
different view-modes.

T/Christof
> * We still have bugs like "can not see version history" which we have
>    not figured out (well, we are not a web shop, but OpenAFS is neither=
).

>> which is a Python
>> powered content management system. The downside to this solution is
>> that it requires a long-running process and a bit more resources than
>> classic "bunch of php" would use and needs a slightly more exotic
>> configuration in the frontend web server.
>
> The CPU cycles are not a problem today.
>
>> On the upside, it is
>> self-contained and requires little more than modern gcc and svn to
>> clone the whole site.
>
> As the OpenAFS web site does have very little interactive content and
> all the people who contribute know how to edit a file in AFS, I'd
> recommend a setup which builds on these skills, maybe with some "make
> &&  make install" which does checks and builds the menu and does a vos
> rele.
>

> # All this does not mean that we do not need a refurbished web site.
>
> # Appearence is of course made with css, CMS or not.
>
> Harald.

--=20
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition to be born
in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where
it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.
   -- G'Quan
Let's update the servers!
Christof Hanke                 		e-mail hanke@rzg.mpg.de
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)		phone +49-89-3299-1041
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut f=FCr Plasmaphysik (IPP)