[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS website proposal.

Booker Bense bbense@slac.stanford.edu
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:19:28 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> * MOST IMPORTANT: give visitors the confidence that OpenAFS should be
> taken seriously and is not going to disappear overnight

Nothing says "lame open source documentation" like a twiki. I
mean no disparagement to the OP or the work he has done, but
twiki's are what you do when you don't have the resources to
write real documentation.

CMS's do fill a vacuum, but I have yet to meet one that doesn't
remind me of the words of Rob Pike.

"Sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks."

While we are all software geeks, there are problems software
simply can't solve. No amount of software magic is going to
make the difficult problem of documentation go away.

Successful documentation requires that it be treated as a
first priority project by "somebody", not as a side effort.
That effort needs to be focused on content, not the delivery
system. If we are debating which CMS to use, we have already
lost the battle.

Personally, I found the most difficult hurdle in updating the
OpenAFS docs to be the variety of formats. Putting some effort
into standardizing the formats would help people contribute.

- Booker C. Bense