[OpenAFS] Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:03:01 -0400

--0016e64d93c489bbe204918dd039

Since it has become painfully clear to me just how atrophied the Quick Start
Guide is over the last week, I am fairly certain that the documentation it
contains regarding building OpenAFS from source probably suffers from
similar neglect.

Before I start banging my head again that particular wall, can someone
please point me at the latest and greatest available documentation on how to
compile the latest 1.5.77 release?

I've already found one difference between the OpenAFS configure
infrastructure and most other GNU configure based projects.  The OpenAFS
configure is not respecting the existing definitions of CFLAGS, LDFLAGS,
etc. and adding to them.   Normally, when I need to coerce a configure-based
build into using extra paths, the code I wrote which automates these
installs simply calculates the necessary values, exports them, and then runs
configure.

That's clearly not working for OpenAFS (my ncurses is in non-standard
location, just like everything else I build into EFS), and some quick code
spelunking suggests that I need to set XCFLAGS and/or XLDFLAGS instead
(looking at src/config/Makefile.config.in).

I am hoping that this, and other build-related lore, is documented
somewhere.

--0016e64d93c489bbe204918dd039

Since it has become painfully clear to me just how atrophied the Quick Star=
t Guide is over the last week, I am fairly certain that the documentation i=
t contains regarding building OpenAFS from source probably suffers from sim=
ilar neglect.<div>
an someone please point me at the latest and greatest available documentati=
I&#39;ve already found one difference between the OpenAFS configure infrast=
ructure and most other GNU configure based projects. =A0The OpenAFS configu=
re is not respecting the existing definitions of CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc. and =
adding to them. =A0 Normally, when I need to coerce a configure-based build=
 into using extra paths, the code I wrote which automates these installs si=
mply calculates the necessary values, exports them, and then runs configure=
.</div>
DFLAGS instead (looking at src/config/<a href=3D"http://Makefile.config.in"=