[OpenAFS] Re: Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:10:34 -0400

--00c09f88d3c285011e04918deb2c

Well, I didn't go nearly far enough into the caves on that spelunking
trip...

XCFLAGS and XLDFLAGS appear to be reset, and not inherited from the
environment either.

Short of post-processing the auto-generated Makefiles, and adding the
necessary paths to each place they are needed, is there a generic mechanism
for seeding these variables with arbitrary values?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com>wrote:

> Since it has become painfully clear to me just how atrophied the Quick
> Start Guide is over the last week, I am fairly certain that the
> documentation it contains regarding building OpenAFS from source probably
> suffers from similar neglect.
>
> Before I start banging my head again that particular wall, can someone
> please point me at the latest and greatest available documentation on how to
> compile the latest 1.5.77 release?
>
> I've already found one difference between the OpenAFS configure
> infrastructure and most other GNU configure based projects.  The OpenAFS
> configure is not respecting the existing definitions of CFLAGS, LDFLAGS,
> etc. and adding to them.   Normally, when I need to coerce a configure-based
> build into using extra paths, the code I wrote which automates these
> installs simply calculates the necessary values, exports them, and then runs
> configure.
>
> That's clearly not working for OpenAFS (my ncurses is in non-standard
> location, just like everything else I build into EFS), and some quick code
> spelunking suggests that I need to set XCFLAGS and/or XLDFLAGS instead
> (looking at src/config/Makefile.config.in).
>
> I am hoping that this, and other build-related lore, is documented
> somewhere.

--00c09f88d3c285011e04918deb2c

necessary paths to each place they are needed, is there a generic mechanism=
class=3D"gmail_quote">
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Phillip Moore <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:w.phillip.moore@gmail.com">w.phillip.moore@gmail.com</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;=
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
Since it has become painfully clear to me just how atrophied the Quick Star=
t Guide is over the last week, I am fairly certain that the documentation i=
t contains regarding building OpenAFS from source probably suffers from sim=
ilar neglect.<div>

an someone please point me at the latest and greatest available documentati=

I&#39;ve already found one difference between the OpenAFS configure infrast=
ructure and most other GNU configure based projects. =A0The OpenAFS configu=
re is not respecting the existing definitions of CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc. and =
adding to them. =A0 Normally, when I need to coerce a configure-based build=
 into using extra paths, the code I wrote which automates these installs si=
mply calculates the necessary values, exports them, and then runs configure=
.</div>

is in non-standard location, just like everything else I build into EFS), a=
nd some quick code spelunking suggests that I need to set XCFLAGS and/or XL=
DFLAGS instead (looking at src/config/<a href=3D"http://Makefile.config.in"=
 target=3D"_blank">Makefile.config.in</a>).</div>

--00c09f88d3c285011e04918deb2c--