[OpenAFS] scripts to install openafs

Jonathan S Billings jsbillin@umich.edu
Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:43:11 -0400

On 10/01/2010 12:12 PM, Andy Cobaugh wrote:
> ... or it may not. I've seen dkms fail to build openafs.ko too many
> times. After so many users complaining that they didn't have a home
> directory after they turned their machine on and couldn't log in, we
> gave in and switched to using the kmod-openafs package.
>
> Others may have other experiences with dkms, but it's certainly an
> option if it works for you.

Most of the failures I've seen have been because the 'gcc' package isn't
installed.  I'm not sure why it isn't a dependency for dkms.

To be honest, it's not the best solution.  I've been looking at
switching to what Fedora/RPMFusion is using, 'akmod', which builds a
kmod- package and installs it.  This seems to be the way that Fedora
(and subsequently RHEL) packagers are moving.

In my environment, I only use dkms on testing workstations.  We don't
roll out new kernels to all systems unless the kmod-openafs and other
kmod packages for graphics cards are built.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support