[OpenAFS] scripts to install openafs

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 17:46:20 +0100

On 1 Oct 2010, at 16:52, Jonathan S Billings wrote:
> When installed, along with the "dkms" package =
(http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/dkms.html) =
and the GCC compiler, it will automatically compile and install a new =
openafs.ko every time you install a new kernel.

It is very difficult for us to diagnose stack traces from dkms built =
modules, as we don't have the debugging symbols. This means that you're =
much less likely to get meaningful support if you encounter problems =
with locally built kernel modules.

On 1 Oct 2010 at 16:58, Andy Cobaugh wrote:
> In this way, we can handle exactly when kernels are updated, and can =
be sure that we'll never be in a situation where there aren't =
kmod-openafs packages yet for new kernel packages.

The main source of latency for us in providing new kmod packages is that =
we have to wait for CentOS to build the kernel module (as all of our =
build machines run CentOS). If someone was prepared to donate either a =
running RHEL machine, or, better yet, a licence that we could add to our =
existing mock host, we'd be able to respond to new kernel modules much, =
much faster.

Cheers,

Simon.