[OpenAFS] Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:58:25 -0700

Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> writes:

> Since it has become painfully clear to me just how atrophied the Quick
> Start Guide is over the last week, I am fairly certain that the
> documentation it contains regarding building OpenAFS from source
> probably suffers from similar neglect.

Yes.

> Before I start banging my head again that particular wall, can someone
> please point me at the latest and greatest available documentation on
> how to compile the latest 1.5.77 release?

README on master or the 1.6 branch is about as good as it gets.

> I've already found one difference between the OpenAFS configure
> infrastructure and most other GNU configure based projects.  The OpenAFS
> configure is not respecting the existing definitions of CFLAGS, LDFLAGS,
> etc. and adding to them.

Yeah, sorry.  :/  We're not using Autoconf properly in a lot of ways.
We're closer than we were, but the configure and build machinery still
needs a lot of cleanup.