[OpenAFS] Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:07:12 -0500

> Yeah, sorry.  :/  We're not using Autoconf properly in a lot of ways.
> We're closer than we were, but the configure and build machinery still
> needs a lot of cleanup.

I need to do some work in this area as well. Is there a set of requirements=
, or at least a rough set of expectations as to what a rational build proce=
ss should do for OpenAFS, ie, what sort of packages does it need to build, =
platforms, etc?=20

How much restructuring of the build process is tolerable? The current one i=
s pretty messy, and really difficult to automate/test in any easy way. Woul=
d it be feasible to scrap the accumulated cruft and fit it into a more mode=
rn build framework like cmake? There has been some talk of using the Sun bu=
ild tool, but with Oracle's recent attitude problems, I'd rather use someth=
ing that doesn't depend on their good graces.