[OpenAFS] Re: Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:07:02 -0500

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:44:10 -0500
David Boyes <dboyes@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> > I don't think we've ever really done any kind of requirements capture
> > in this area.
>
> OK. Here's some thoughts I had:
>
> Should:
>
> Run on Linux, Solaris, AIX, Irix for certain; others?

HP-UX, Darwin, *BSD. You seem to be implying Windows, too...

> > The main problem with moving to a different tool is that most of us
> > understand autoconf and make. cmake adds an entire new layer of
> > unfamiliarity, and in that respect is probably likely to be regarded
> > with suspicion.
>
> Isn't that the case with any build tool other than the status quo,
> however?

...yes? That's why continuing to use autoconf and friends has a lot of
benefits, even if the build system is entirely redone. As much as we
like to complain about autoconf sometimes, it itself is not the problem
here.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net