[OpenAFS] Re: Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:06:20 -0500

> > Run on Linux, Solaris, AIX, Irix for certain; others?
> HP-UX, Darwin, *BSD. You seem to be implying Windows, too...

If possible, I think it would be desirable to have a completely common tool=
ing set, including Windows. If we focus on generating a build configuration=
 for the platform in question, instead of directly building the software, I=
 think the problem becomes more tractable.=20

> ...yes? That's why continuing to use autoconf and friends has a lot of
> benefits, even if the build system is entirely redone. As much as we
> like to complain about autoconf sometimes, it itself is not the problem
> here.

I don't think we're to the point of discussing tools. I'm still trying to g=
et the requirements of what needs to be done agreed.=20

FWIW: A pretty large amount of restructuring and #ifdef rationalization is =
going to need to be done whatever the tool turns out to be. IMHO, this woul=
d also be a good opportunity to switch from platform/OS-oriented ifdefs to =
capability-oriented ifdefs, but that's a 2nd order change irrelevant to bei=
ng able to get away from the details of platforms as much as possible.=20