[OpenAFS] More Quick Start Woes: afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 03 Oct 2010 09:10:54 -0400

On 09/29/2010 09:36 AM, Joakim Fallsjö wrote:
> On 9/29/10 14:29 , Phillip Moore wrote:
>> The Quick Start Guide has clearly atrophied (not just whining -- I
>> *will*
>> patch it... :-)
>>
>> Thanks to the help so far, I've gotten as far as rebooting and trying to
>> mount /afs, but no further.   I discovered the CellServDB.dist and
>> CellServDB.local files (neat trick) which are not documented in the QSG,
>> sorted those files out, but still I'm getting:
>>
>> afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)
>>
>> I ran afsd with -verbose, and the output seems to indicate that
>> everything's
>> fine up to mounting root.afs (see below). As suggested by the QSG, I
>> removed
>> -dynroot from /etc/sysconfig/openafs, and I have created my root.afs
>> volume,
>> but that is the ONLY volume I have.
>>
>> I am starting to get the impression that I need to pre-create some more
>> volume infrastructure, perhaps.   Do I need anything other than
>> root.afs to
>> get started?   The QSG doesn't have you create anything other than
>> root.afs
>> until AFTER you have started the client for the first time.
>>
>> I believe my client config files are correct:
>>
>> [root@fhcore ~]# cat /usr/vice/etc/ThisCell
>> d.fh.nyc.us.boot.efs[root@fhcore ~]#
>> [root@fhcore ~]# cat /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB
>>> d.fh.nyc.us.boot.efs #Cell name
>> 192.168.1.121    #fhcore
>>

> Um, wasn't there a magic dependency that the name after the pundsign
> (#) has to be resolvable FQDN (preferably forward and reverse) to the
> IP on the left hand side?
>
> >sanchin.se             #Sanchin Consulting AB, Sweden
> 192.195.148.10                  #sesan.sanchin.se

Yes, some clients require the second column to be resolvable by DNS, but
I don't remember the specifics. I vaguely recall that 1.5 clients do that.

You need the root.cell volume at a minimum for dynroot clients. You cell
should have the root.afs and root.cell volumes for everything to
function properly.

Clients without dynroot look for root.afs, which is listed as /afs.
Clients with dynroot don't show root.afs, instead that lists all cells
in CellServDB and look for the root.cell volume in each cell. root.cell
is mounted as /afs/cellname and /afs/.cellname

Jason