[OpenAFS] Request for Assistance with OpenAFS

Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:33:41 -0400

--------------enig90B057793E20D9C04A9ACFF6

On 9/17/2010 5:05 AM, Rudolf Bauer E1 wrote:
>  Hello,
>=20
> I have a strange problem with OpenAFS client 1.5.77 running on Windows
> 7. When there is low traffic in AFS the client works fine. In times wit=
> more traffic it always hangs up. When hanging it takes pretty high CPU
> time. When trying to login in this state it shows error code 11862791
> (AFS service may not have startet). But in computer management I see
> OpenAFS Client Service startet and working fine. Additionally I see in
> the event viewer periodically the warning "Unable to send SMB Packet:
> NRC_SABORT session ended abnormally." approx. every 5 seconds from the
> OpenAFS Client.
> A reinstall of the client, uninstalling the AFS loopback adapter and
> deactivating NetBios in TCP/IP settings seem to have no effect on the
> issue.
> I would be thankful for proposals on how to solve this problem.
>=20
> regards,
>=20
> Rudi Bauer
> Max-Planck-Institut f=C3=BCr Plasmaphysik, Garching

The problem is (unfortunately) a regression in Windows 7 that the
OpenAFS developers cannot work around.  Microsoft has a reproducible
test case and they are working on identifying the root cause of the issue=
=2E

At the same time, a native AFS redirector is under development that will
permit AFS to be accessed without relying upon the Windows SMB and
Netbios subsystems.

Jeffrey Altman