[OpenAFS] Re: Quick Start Guide: why do we tell people to use -cell when it's unnecessary?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:18:56 -0500

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:50:27 -0400
Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the things I was about to change in the QSG is the advice below
> (sorry if the HTML survives the past illegibly):
>
> Using -cell is meaningless, since the bosserver is running with
> -noauth at this point, and the -cell argument merely tells bos which
> of your tokens to use for authentication.   Is there any valid reason
> why I should just drop the use of -cell in all these examples,
> whenever using -noauth?

That isn't quite all that -cell does. If you're running in -noauth mode,
I believe the only time the cell name is touched is for 'bos addkey' and
'bos salvage'. I wouldn't think either of those are used in the sections
you're talking about, though, so have at it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net