[OpenAFS] Re: SYNC_connect: temporary failure on circuit 'FSSYNC' (will retry)

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 22:08:52 -0500

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 01:36:30 +0000
Adam Megacz <adam@megacz.com> wrote:

> Anybody know what this means?
>
>   SYNC_connect: temporary failure on circuit 'FSSYNC' (will retry)

FSSYNC is the mechanism by which non-fileserver programs (such as, the
volserver, the salvager, some other stuff) talk to the fileserver,
usually to check out volumes and stuff. That message means we couldn't
connect to the FSSYNC socket or had some trouble talking to the
fileserver (and as it indicates, it will retry to connect).

I think the most common scenario I see that is if the fileserver dies
when the other fs/dafs procs stay alive. There also may be some bugs in
various versions that cause that message to appear, but they are
cosmetic. If you see it a lot, I'd like to know more about what's going
on with your server, but otherwise it's not anything to worry about.

> What's a circuit?

Just a name someone gave for the communication mechanism being used, I
guess. I don't associate much meaning with the term.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net