[OpenAFS] Re: SYNC_connect: temporary failure on circuit 'FSSYNC' (will retry)

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 00:42:39 -0500

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 03:54:17 +0000
Adam Megacz <adam@megacz.com> wrote:

> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> > If you see it a lot, I'd like to know more about what's going
> > on with your server, but otherwise it's not anything to worry about.
>
> Well, the FileServer and VolServer are both refusing to start, and this
> message is the only thing in their logs that seems to explain the
> situation...

"Refusing to start" means... they start and do nothing? Or they exit?

What do you see in FileLog? I would guess the fileserver is failing to
contact a dbserver or something if it appears to be hanging. Drop a
pstack (or 'thread apply all bt' in gdb) in a pastebin or something, if
you want to know what it's doing.

> >> What's a circuit?
> >
> > Just a name someone gave for the communication mechanism being used, I
> > guess. I don't associate much meaning with the term.
>
> I humbly suggest that using standard unix terminology like "named pipe"
> might be a good idea.

It's not a named pipe. It's usually implemented over a unix domain
socket, but that's irrelevant. It's just trying to log which 'thing'
over SYNC is failing; someone at some point called that 'thing' a
'circuit', apparently ("FSSYNC" is one; "SALVSYNC" in DAFS is another).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net