[OpenAFS] Status of the AFS::Command CPAN module

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:34:09 -0400

--0015175cddd8ec7f860492ab3b0e

If all the functionality of vos/pts/fs/bos were available in C libraries,
that is precisely how I would like to implement this.  In fact, I've bitched
and moaned about this endlessly over the years, and the fact is that in
order to automate AFS administration, you still *MUST* use the CLI utilities
for most tasks.  I would love to be proven wrong.

However, even if we went this route, that would be a complete and total
rewrite of this code from the ground up, and will be far from trivial.
Let's agree to implement that in AFS::Command V3.  You have obviously never
done any perl development with XS, either -- it's very, very non-trivial and
something I would not wish upon my worst enemies.   I spent several years
trying to perfect the MQSeries API, the core of which was XS wrappers around
IBM C libraries, and that's how long it took to hunt down and kill off the
last memory leak.

For now, V2 is merely a modernization of the current implementation, and
it's taken me a total of 2 days to complete, although I have maybe another 2
or 3 days of improvements I want to complete.   I would estimate that an XS
based wrapper around libadmin and friends is a few months of effort, at
least.

Tactically, AFS::Command will continue to screen scrape the CLI.

Strategically, what you propose is precisely the direction I want to go in,
it's just going to take some time and energy, but then, I have plenty of
both :-P

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Jeffrey Altman <
jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/2010 1:01 PM, Phillip Moore wrote:
>
> > Since AFS::Command is a glorified screen scraper, a few of the
> > commands no longer accept lists of names/ids in order to make the error
> > handling robust.
>
> How about turning the implementation into something based on top of
> libadmin instead of executing command line tools?   One of the big
> challenges preventing improvements to the command line tools is the fear
> that adding to, removing from or restructuring the command output is
> going to break tools that parse the output.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

--0015175cddd8ec7f860492ab3b0e

 C libraries, that is precisely how I would like to implement this. =A0In f=
act, I&#39;ve bitched and moaned about this endlessly over the years, and t=
he fact is that in order to automate AFS administration, you still *MUST* u=
se the CLI utilities for most tasks. =A0I would love to be proven wrong.<di=
v>
e and total rewrite of this code from the ground up, and will be far from t=
rivial. =A0 Let&#39;s agree to implement that in AFS::Command V3. =A0You ha=
ve obviously never done any perl development with XS, either -- it&#39;s ve=
ry, very non-trivial and something I would not wish upon my worst enemies. =
=A0 I spent several years trying to perfect the MQSeries API, the core of w=
hich was XS wrappers around IBM C libraries, and that&#39;s how long it too=
k to hunt down and kill off the last memory leak.</div>
plementation, and it&#39;s taken me a total of 2 days to complete, although=
 I have maybe another 2 or 3 days of improvements I want to complete. =A0 I=
 would estimate that an XS based wrapper around libadmin and friends is a f=
ew months of effort, at least.=A0</div>
sely the direction I want to go in, it&#39;s just going to take some time a=
nd energy, but then, I have plenty of both :-P<br>
man <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">j=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-l=
eft:1ex;">
&gt; Since AFS::Command is a glorified screen scraper, a few of the<br>
&gt; commands no longer accept lists of names/ids in order to make the erro=
r<br>
&gt; handling robust.<br>
r>
libadmin instead of executing command line tools? =A0 One of the big<br>
challenges preventing improvements to the command line tools is the fear<br=

that adding to, removing from or restructuring the command output is<br>
going to break tools that parse the output.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>

--0015175cddd8ec7f860492ab3b0e--