[OpenAFS] Re: Status of the AFS::Command CPAN module

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:59:34 -0400

--0016361e8376d9505f0492ab968c

I was trying to be kind, but yes -- libadmin supports a very small fraction
of what I, as an AFS administrator (feels good to say that after 5 years of
suffering with just NFS :-P) need to get my job done.

Look, I don't write screen scraping code because that's my preferred way to
solve these problem.  I write it because I have to.

V2 is mostly a tactical release, but what I plan to do long term is get
completely familiar with the other AFS::* modules on CPAN, and find a way to
bring them all together in the future.  Not necessarily as a single
distribution (although world domination and total ownership of the AFS
namespace on CPAN appeals to my ego), but making them all interoperate and
work together better.

Now that I'm working on AFS again, I'll try my best to provide some
leadership in this area.   I haven't even gotten around to building the
other AFS perl code yet, so I don't know what state it's in.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:15:10 -0400
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/15/2010 1:01 PM, Phillip Moore wrote:
> >
> > > Since AFS::Command is a glorified screen scraper, a few of the
> > > commands no longer accept lists of names/ids in order to make the error
> > > handling robust.
> >
> > How about turning the implementation into something based on top of
> > libadmin instead of executing command line tools?
>
> I could be wrong, but I thought libadmin is nowhere near as useful as
> the CLI utilities. I would expect it to continue to be until it reaches
> the point where the CLI utilities can be implemented on top of it,
> rather than as an unmaintainable parallel implementation.
>
> I would like to do that, but, well, it will take some time.
>
> --
> Andrew Deason
> adeason@sinenomine.net

--0016361e8376d9505f0492ab968c

 small fraction of what I, as an AFS administrator (feels good to say that =
after 5 years of suffering with just NFS :-P) need to get my job done.<div>
9;s my preferred way to solve these problem. =A0I write it because I have t=
t I plan to do long term is get completely familiar with the other AFS::* m=
odules on CPAN, and find a way to bring them all together in the future. =
=A0Not necessarily as a single distribution (although world domination and =
total ownership of the AFS namespace on CPAN appeals to my ego), but making=
 them all interoperate and work together better.</div>
best to provide some leadership in this area. =A0 I haven&#39;t even gotten=
 around to building the other AFS perl code yet, so I don&#39;t know what s=
tate it&#39;s in.</div>
 Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net">ade=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;=
">
Jeffrey Altman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">jaltman@=
secure-endpoints.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; On 10/15/2010 1:01 PM, Phillip Moore wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Since AFS::Command is a glorified screen scraper, a few of the<br=

&gt; &gt; commands no longer accept lists of names/ids in order to make the=
 error<br>
&gt; &gt; handling robust.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; How about turning the implementation into something based on top of<br=

&gt; libadmin instead of executing command line tools?<br>
the CLI utilities. I would expect it to continue to be until it reaches<br>
the point where the CLI utilities can be implemented on top of it,<br>
rather than as an unmaintainable parallel implementation.<br>
I would like to do that, but, well, it will take some time.<br>
--<br>
Andrew Deason<br>