[OpenAFS] Documentation on fs bypassthreshold?

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:34:41 -0400

--000e0cd2426260a98c0492e797dd

Thanks for the explanation.

Can someone familiar with the new feature tell me if I'm off base in
asserting that it is a bug that this can be set, but not UN-set?

Sure looks like a bug to me....

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Matt W. Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> This fs operation gets, or sets, a threshold (relative to file size) for
> cache bypass.  You need to be using a CM port with bypass support, i.e.,
> Linux right now.  By default, all reads and writes are through the CM's
> cache.  There is no threshold unless set, so by default cache bypass is not
> operative.  If you (cm administrator) set a value here, reads on files
> greater than the threshold size use the cache bypass strategy.  Cache bypass
> reads are performed in the background queue, into the page cache only.  You
> probably want to increase CM daemon threads should you enable this.
>
> Matt
>
> ----- "Phillip Moore" <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In 1.5.77, there's no man page for fs_bypassthreshold, and Google's
> > not showing much that helps, either.
> >

> > Can someone explain to me what this does? For the purposes of
> > supporting it in AFS::Command, I only need to know the CLI syntax, and
> > I can read venus/fs.c to figure out how to parse the output, but...
> >

> > What does it DO?
>
> --
>
> Matt Benjamin
>
> The Linux Box
> 206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
> Ann Arbor, MI  48104
>
> http://linuxbox.com
>
> tel. 734-761-4689
> fax. 734-769-8938
> cel. 734-216-5309

--000e0cd2426260a98c0492e797dd

amiliar with the new feature tell me if I&#39;m off base in asserting that =
l_quote">On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Matt W. Benjamin <span dir=3D"ltr=
">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:matt@linuxbox.com">matt@linuxbox.com</a>&gt;</span>=
 wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hi Phil,<br>
This fs operation gets, or sets, a threshold (relative to file size) for ca=
che bypass. =A0You need to be using a CM port with bypass support, i.e., Li=
nux right now. =A0By default, all reads and writes are through the CM&#39;s=
 cache. =A0There is no threshold unless set, so by default cache bypass is =
not operative. =A0If you (cm administrator) set a value here, reads on file=
s greater than the threshold size use the cache bypass strategy. =A0Cache b=
ypass reads are performed in the background queue, into the page cache only=
. =A0You probably want to increase CM daemon threads should you enable this=
.<br>

Matt<br>
----- &quot;Phillip Moore&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:w.phillip.moore@gmail=
.com">w.phillip.moore@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; In 1.5.77, there&#39;s no man page for fs_bypassthreshold, and Google&=
#39;s<br>
&gt; not showing much that helps, either.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Can someone explain to me what this does? For the purposes of<br>
&gt; supporting it in AFS::Command, I only need to know the CLI syntax, and=
&gt; I can read venus/fs.c to figure out how to parse the output, but...<br=

&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What does it DO?<br>
Matt Benjamin<br>