[OpenAFS] Documentation for fs precache

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:45:35 -0400

--20cf30334ed15b08510492e7be20

Another fs command I can't find any documentation for:  fs precache

In this case, it appears that there's no way to query the value.   This
seems like bad interface design to me.  If there's a mechanism for setting
an important value that changes the behavior of the client, there has to be
a mechanism for querying that value.  Otherwise, you can't manage it.
 Write-only, read-never parameters are very bad.

Looking at the code in src/venus/fs.c, it looks to me like this *should*
have been implemented as a pair of CLI commands: setprecache and
getprecache, and in fact, that should be straight forward, and fully
backwards compatible.

Is this another bleeding edge feature that the authors thought wasn't
important enough to write a man page for?

--20cf30334ed15b08510492e7be20

Another fs command I can&#39;t find any documentation for: =A0fs precache<d=
 the value. =A0 This seems like bad interface design to me. =A0If there&#39=
;s a mechanism for setting an important value that changes the behavior of =
the client, there has to be a mechanism for querying that value. =A0Otherwi=
se, you can&#39;t manage it. =A0Write-only, read-never parameters are very =
bad.</div>
ike this *should* have been implemented as a pair of CLI commands: setpreca=
che and getprecache, and in fact, that should be straight forward, and full=
y backwards compatible.</div>

--20cf30334ed15b08510492e7be20--