[OpenAFS] cache manager is very very slow for simple things

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:26:10 +0200

On 10/28/2010 10:07 PM, David Bear wrote:
> I noticed today that with openafs 1.4.10 on suse linux that two very odd
> things are happening. First, bash tab completion takes many seconds to
> complete a path to an item in AFS. Second, emacs keeps hanging when any
> buffer has a file residing in AFS open. The hang is global to emacs --
> but not to the computer.
>
> Any thoughts?

The bash bit reminds me of an effect I observed even in a local fs. I
had a directory inode that had grown to an absurd size (several dozen MB
I believe) and the system took forever reading it.

Does the slow directory contain lots of items? Are multiple AFS paths
afflicted?

Regards,
Felix