[OpenAFS] VMware and AFS

Tom Briggs tbriggs@cs.ship.edu
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:03:53 -0400

--0016364582062dc843049061c130

We are running AFS as both servers and clients under a combination of vmware
products.

We have 3 AFS servers running under ESXi.  Our student UNIX login servers
are also running under ESXI and are running the client.  Both have worked
flawlessly.  I am also running a fourth AFS server under VMWare fusion, and
its been running flawlessly as well (it was just tricky to have it startup
at boot).  We use VMWare workstation / fusion for a number of courses, and
each have AFS client installed.  Again, students use those in a variety of
abusive ways and it has worked fine.

We *were* using 8.10 on our servers - so I wasn't using 8.04.  You may want
to look to ensure that your cache settings on the clients aren't set to use
memory, that can make things pretty slow - esp. since VMWare places game
with the guest's physical memory and how its actually allocated.  My
intuition is that the memory cache would reduce performance for the virtual
machine.

-tom

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Steve Devine <sd@msu.edu> wrote:

> We are running an Ubuntu server "Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS" with the OpenAFS 1.4.11
> client on a VM guest. This works great except over time the afs client
> wedges the server - (Ram gets consumed). When this happens we have to do a
> hard reboot to get it back on line.
> How many others are running AFS clients on VMware guests? Any issues or
> suggestions on troubleshooting this?
> The VMWare is version 4.0.
>
> Steve Devine
> Systems & Infrastructure
> Academic Technology Services
> Michigan State University

---------
Tom Briggs, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania

--0016364582062dc843049061c130

We are running AFS as both servers and clients under a combination of vmwar=
=A0Our student UNIX login servers are also running under ESXI and are runni=
ng the client. =A0Both have worked flawlessly. =A0I am also running a fourt=
h AFS server under VMWare fusion, and its been running flawlessly as well (=
it was just tricky to have it startup at boot). =A0We use VMWare workstatio=
n / fusion for a number of courses, and each have AFS client installed. =A0=
Again, students use those in a variety of abusive ways and it has worked fi=
ne.</div>
sing 8.04. =A0You may want to look to ensure that your cache settings on th=
e clients aren&#39;t set to use memory, that can make things pretty slow - =
esp. since VMWare places game with the guest&#39;s physical memory and how =
its actually allocated. =A0My intuition is that the memory cache would redu=
ce performance for the virtual machine.</div>
hu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Steve Devine <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
-left:1ex;">
We are running an Ubuntu server &quot;Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS&quot; with the Open=
AFS 1.4.11 client on a VM guest. This works great except over time the afs =
client wedges the server - (Ram gets consumed). When this happens we have t=
o do a hard reboot to get it back on line.<br>

How many others are running AFS clients on VMware guests? Any issues or sug=
gestions on troubleshooting this?<br>
The VMWare is version 4.0.<br>
Steve Devine<br>
Systems &amp; Infrastructure<br>