[OpenAFS] VMware and AFS

Gary Gatling gsgatlin@ncsu.edu
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:59:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Where I work we have 4 AFS servers running inside of VMware guests. The
servers are only holding Read Only volumes. On each fileserver there are
about 230 volumes. Each VM has 512 MB of RAM. The disk storage is an
SMS. The version of Vmware is Virtual Infrastructure 3.5. The Guest OS is
RHEL 5.5. OpenAFS v 1.4.11. We haven't had any problems with running out
of memory. (These are production servers for the eos.ncsu.edu cell) The
machines usually stay up for 1-2 months and get rebooted when a kernel
upgrade happens and I manually apply the kernel and openafs kmod client
upgrades. (I don't get to every single kernel upgrade but I try to do it
every couple of months...) Because they are read only volumes only I can
reboot one of the four without making the service go down or removing the
volumes.

Our Read Write volumes live on Solaris AFS servers. They require lots of
moving when patch time comes around every 6 months. But we hope to move
them to RHEL (maybe in Vmware) in the future once a backup solution is
ready. We have really never had any problems with these Linux VMware AFS
servers the whole time they have been running. (since July 2008) They've
been working pretty good for us.

Hope that helps,

Gary Gatling      | ITECS Systems