[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:00:03 -0400

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:49:59PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> writes:
>
> > Barring an equivalent, what Linux setup...
>
> >   a) seems most stable
> >   b) is fsck-less
>
> > Even quick grunt responses are appreciated.
>
> We use ext3.  It isn't the fastest or the most featureful, but it's the
> core file system that everyone uses on Linux and for us it's been rock
> solid.  You're the least likely to run into strange problems.

We (umich.edu) also use ext3. We randomly run into issues where
the filesystem half-thinks that things that should be files are
directories, which, when this happens on a vice paritition, leads
to interesting problems.

Other co-workers (some of whom I believe are on this list) follow
this more, but I think our strategy has been to keep on top of any
kernel issues and the corresponding userspace tools for dealing with
ext filesystems and see what those do. I have no idea why we tend
to run into this with not-frequent-but-too-often-for-me regularity.

That said, I'm not sure what else we'd even consider running on
Linux systems.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/