[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 01:11:52 +0000

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 00:04, Vincent Fox <vbfox@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> =A0On 09/28/2010 04:13 PM, Rich Sudlow wrote:
>>
>> =A0that being said we're also looking for fileserver
>> alternatives due to Oracle takeover.
>
> What's your reasoning here?
>
> If anything I'd expect them to put effort into optimizing it
> which Sun was letting languish recently.

Oracle has suggested that they want to "move up the stack"
to selling solutions (entire boxes/racks to do [something];
I think someone called it a "Stack-in-a-box") and not
selling commodity hardware to run your own apps on.
There is more profit to be found there(*).  I believe ZFS
is part of those solutions, and I would expect Oracle
to continue to invest there.  But if/how that will end up
being a separable purchasable box to run as an
OpenAFS file server is simply not clear (and I
doubt Oracle has a product plan for selling an
OpenAFS file server solution today; maybe tommorow
if enough people ask for it?)

Gary

(*) And Oracle has done the same before on the
    software side.  Databases were being commoditized,,
    and Oracle moved up to application solutions.