[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Robert Milkowski milek@task.gda.pl
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:20:26 +0100

On 29/09/2010 01:52, Booker Bense wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Vincent Fox wrote:
>
>> On 09/28/2010 04:13 PM, Rich Sudlow wrote:
>>>   that being said we're also looking for fileserver
>>> alternatives due to Oracle takeover.
>>
>> What's your reasoning here?
>>

> Oracle is making it pretty clear that Solaris is only for
> Solaris hardware and they are changing the support/price
> structure.
>
> Ideally, we'd like to run Solaris on commodity x86 boxes rather than
> the increasingly expensive thumper boxes.
>
> For whatever reason Oracle is pricing themselves out of the market wrt
> to generic hardware.

You can definitely buy a support for Solaris 10 from Oracle on
non-Oracle x86 servers.
IIRC it is 1000$ per socket per year for 24x7 support.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/161333
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/non-sun-x86-081976.html

--
Robert Milkowski