[OpenAFS] Can't seem to find asetkey -- where's it supposed to come from?

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:28:35 -0400

--0015175ce0822484e20491644355

I'll put myself on the spot and promise to submit a patch that at least
updates the sections of the Quick Start Guide that I have worked through.

There's far too much use of -noauth, and needless use of -cell all over the
place in these instructions.   Once you have "secured your cell", the very
next thing you should do is remove the NoAuth file, and switch from using
-noauth to -localauth.

I think the overuse of -cell is particulary bad, because in almost all
cases, it's meaningless when using -noauth.  There are only a few steps
where the cell argument is really needed.

I won't be able to review the entire document (there's numerous sections I'm
skipping) but I will at least take a shot at rationalizing the CLI argument
usage as much as possible.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net>wrote:

>  If someone points me at the source for the documentation, I'd be happy to
>> submit patches.  I think there are some other subtle inaccuracies as well,
>> like requiring the -cell argument to the bos command, when using -noauth.
>> Unless I'm just wrong on that last point :-P
>>

> At the AFS meeting in Pilsen, there was discussion in the hallway
> track that -noauth is really no longer necessary, because you can
> now run pts -localauth flag.  I haven't tried it yet myself but
> that seems preferable.
>
> Mike --

--0015175ce0822484e20491644355

h that at least updates the sections of the Quick Start Guide that I have w=
and needless use of -cell all over the place in these instructions. =A0 Onc=
e you have &quot;secured your cell&quot;, the very next thing you should do=
 is remove the NoAuth file, and switch from using -noauth to -localauth. =
=A0</div>
e in almost all cases, it&#39;s meaningless when using -noauth. =A0There ar=
umerous sections I&#39;m skipping) but I will at least take a shot at ratio=
nalizing the CLI argument usage as much as possible.<br><br><div class=3D"g=
mail_quote">
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Michael Meffie <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:mmeffie@sinenomine.net">mmeffie@sinenomine.net</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bord=
er-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
If someone points me at the source for the documentation, I&#39;d be happy =
to submit patches. =A0I think there are some other subtle inaccuracies as w=
ell, like requiring the -cell argument to the bos command, when using -noau=
th. =A0 Unless I&#39;m just wrong on that last point :-P<br>

At the AFS meeting in Pilsen, there was discussion in the hallway<br>
track that -noauth is really no longer necessary, because you can<br>
now run pts -localauth flag. =A0I haven&#39;t tried it yet myself but<br>
that seems preferable.<br>
Mike --<br>

--0015175ce0822484e20491644355--