[OpenAFS] laptop use

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:04:57 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Thomas Briggs <tbriggs@cs.ship.edu> wro=
te:
>>> I'm using OpenAFS 1.5.77 on Snow Leopard (10.6.4) on a laptop. =A0Last =
night, I forgot to shutdown AFS before I left an internet connected world. =
=A0When I opened up in an area that had no internet access (yes, there are =
such places left in the US), I could not shutdown it down using the AFS men=
u. =A0Is there any way to do this without rebooting? =A0(I don't have OpenA=
FS running at startup b/c of this).

>> all the menu does (i think) is the equivalent of sudo kill (pid of
>> launchafs), which runs the shutdown script. if you can reproduce this,
>> run "cmdebug localhost" while offline and you are killing afs, and
>> share the output?
>>
>> i don't shut it down; it's harmless to leave running.
>
> My experience with this (Snowleopard, 1.5.7x) matches Derrick. My laptop =
does not mount oAFS on boot because if you're in a non-internet situation i=
t slows the boot down badly,

i boot even offline with openafs; no noticeable difference in speed.
nor should there be assuming you didn't turn off dynroot.

>but once it's up the only problem you have when disconnected is access to =
AFS-based files is rather poor. :-)

> If I recall correctly, *if you wait long enough* the shutdown of oAFS doe=
s eventually succeed. That time, given that I had a files/volumes reference=
d in AFS, was very very long. Maybe hours. Better to leave it up.

it should time out servers (and that's supposed to be instant)

--=20
Derrick