[OpenAFS] laptop use

Thomas Briggs tbriggs@cs.ship.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:07:41 -0400

On Sep 29, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Derrick Brashear wrote:

>>=20
>> My experience with this (Snowleopard, 1.5.7x) matches Derrick. My =
laptop does not mount oAFS on boot because if you're in a non-internet =
situation it slows the boot down badly,
>=20
> i boot even offline with openafs; no noticeable difference in speed.
> nor should there be assuming you didn't turn off dynroot.

That was my expectation, and my experience with 1.4.  Booting w/ AFS =
made boot quite a bit slower.  It hangs w/ messages about cache =
scanning.

>=20
>> but once it's up the only problem you have when disconnected is =
access to AFS-based files is rather poor. :-)
>>=20
>> If I recall correctly, *if you wait long enough* the shutdown of oAFS =
does eventually succeed. That time, given that I had a files/volumes =
referenced in AFS, was very very long. Maybe hours. Better to leave it =
up.
>=20
> it should time out servers (and that's supposed to be instant)

Time outs seem to take quite a long time.  This seems especially true =
when using file dialog boxes.  When disconnected, finder hangs for a few =
seconds (about 10 seconds) before giving up.

-tom=