[OpenAFS] laptop use

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:21:10 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Thomas Briggs <tbriggs@cs.ship.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>

>>> My experience with this (Snowleopard, 1.5.7x) matches Derrick. My lapto=
p does not mount oAFS on boot because if you're in a non-internet situation=
 it slows the boot down badly,

>> i boot even offline with openafs; no noticeable difference in speed.
>> nor should there be assuming you didn't turn off dynroot.
>
> That was my expectation, and my experience with 1.4. =A0Booting w/ AFS ma=
de boot quite a bit slower. =A0It hangs w/ messages about cache scanning.

which is interesting, because that doesn't even have a network component to=
 it.

what's in /var/db/openafs/etc/config/afs.conf file, in the OPTIONS variable=
?

>>> but once it's up the only problem you have when disconnected is access =
to AFS-based files is rather poor. :-)

>>> If I recall correctly, *if you wait long enough* the shutdown of oAFS d=
oes eventually succeed. That time, given that I had a files/volumes referen=
ced in AFS, was very very long. Maybe hours. Better to leave it up.

>> it should time out servers (and that's supposed to be instant)
>
> Time outs seem to take quite a long time. =A0This seems especially true w=
hen using file dialog boxes. =A0When disconnected, finder hangs for a few s=
econds (about 10 seconds) before giving up.

the "it's instant" trick only works if there's no net (as it uses
"hey, no route!" as a hint). happen to know if that's true?

--=20
Derrick