[OpenAFS] More Quick Start Woes: afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:38:03 -0700

Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> writes:

> I am not sure which of the 3 or 4 things I tried resolved the problem, but I
> had NOT been looking at dmesg output, and it showed:

> You must reload the AFS kernel extensions before remounting AFS.

> I rebooted when the docs suggested, /afs didn't mount, so then I started
> tweaking things.  I simply re-ran "openafs-client start", but that was
> not sufficient.  One of the changes fixed this, but I can't tell which
> one.

> A second reboot resulted in AFS mounting fine.

Yeah, in general the Linux kernel module deals very poorly with failing to
initialize.  I'm surprised that it didn't kernel panic on you.  If AFS
comes all the way up, you can generally shut it down cleanly, but if it
only comes up partway, you generally have to reboot to get things back
into a working state.