[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Andy Cobaugh phalenor@gmail.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:12:27 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think anybody has mentioned the block level compression in ZFS yet.
With simple lzjb compression (zfs set compression=on foo), our AFS home
directories see ~1.75x compression. That's an extra 1-2TB of disk that we don't
need to store. Of course that makes balancing vice partitions interesting when
you can only see the compression ratio at the filesystem level and not the
volume level.

Checksums are nice too. There's no longer a question of whether your storage
hardware wrote what you wanted it to write. This can go a long way to helping
to predict failures if you run zpool scrub on a regular basis (otherwise, zfs
only detects checksum mismatches upon read, scrub checks the whole pool).

So, just to add us to the list, we're either ext3 on linux for small stuff
(<10TB), and zfs on solaris for everything else. Will probably consider XFS in
the future, however.

If you do use ext3, I find it helps sometimes to turn off atime. It might be
interesting to see what other options, if any, other folks are using for ext3.

--andy