[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Robert Milkowski milek@task.gda.pl
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:09:01 +0100

On 29/09/2010 01:47, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Fox<vbfox@ucdavis.edu>  writes:
>
>>   On 09/28/2010 04:13 PM, Rich Sudlow wrote:
>>

>>> that being said we're also looking for fileserver alternatives due to
>>> Oracle takeover.
>>>

>> What's your reasoning here?
>>

>> If anything I'd expect them to put effort into optimizing it
>> which Sun was letting languish recently.
>>
> Oracle so far appears to be pursuing a general policy of slowly ceasing
> all open source development that Sun was doing.  I'm sure ZFS will
> continue to exist in some form, but I expect the Oracle version of it to
> become a commercial software product you have to license.

ZFS is the main filesystem for Solaris 11 - you will no longer even be
able to use UFS for root-fs.
ZFS is the filesystem behind Oracle 7000 series disk arrays.

They have just announced they are going to use Solaris 11/ZFS in their
future versions of Exadata.

IMHO ZFS is the key platform for Oracle and they already are investing
in it.

> Oracle is not an open source company and appears to have little to no
> interest in becoming one.

Why does it matter for you if ZFS is being developed in open or not?

btw: according to the leaked memo Oracle will provide source code for
Solaris, including ZFS, everytime they produce a new Solaris release.
This would mean that it will still be open source, but development
wouldn't happen in open.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com