[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:25:40 -0700

Robert Milkowski <milek@task.gda.pl> writes:
> On 29/09/2010 01:47, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Oracle so far appears to be pursuing a general policy of slowly ceasing
>> all open source development that Sun was doing.  I'm sure ZFS will
>> continue to exist in some form, but I expect the Oracle version of it
>> to become a commercial software product you have to license.

> ZFS is the main filesystem for Solaris 11 - you will no longer even be
> able to use UFS for root-fs.  ZFS is the filesystem behind Oracle 7000
> series disk arrays.

> They have just announced they are going to use Solaris 11/ZFS in their
> future versions of Exadata.

> IMHO ZFS is the key platform for Oracle and they already are investing
> in it.

None of that contradicts the statement I made.

>> Oracle is not an open source company and appears to have little to no
>> interest in becoming one.

> Why does it matter for you if ZFS is being developed in open or not?

Why does it matter to me?  Because I'm more likely to run servers on Mac
OS X than I am to run them on Solaris, which means the only interest ZFS
holds for me is its availability on non-Solaris, non-Oracle platforms.
Other people will have different reasons for caring.  :)

> btw: according to the leaked memo Oracle will provide source code for
> Solaris, including ZFS, everytime they produce a new Solaris
> release.

I'll be curious to see how long that lasts.