[OpenAFS] Re: Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:09:44 -0500

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:56:51 +0100
Robert Milkowski <milek@task.gda.pl> wrote:

> > Technically you also have Nexenta, though I personally don't know
> > how much better it actually is. Recent developments have also made
> > me wonder about the possibility of a Debian GNU/Illumos or whatever
> > it would be called.
>
> Well, that's what Nexenta is, isn't it?
> I mean it is based on Debian + Solaris kernel (including zfs, dtrace,
> ...) - and yes, it does use dpkg, etc.

Yes and no. They're not part of the Debian project, and I thought they
had forked some tools like APT to take advantage of zfs snapshots for
upgrades and other Solaris foo.

My impression is that it is certainly Debian-like, but it is by no means
Debian. But it's not like I've been following Nexenta very closely.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net