[OpenAFS] Re: Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Robert Milkowski milek@task.gda.pl
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:22:31 +0100

On 30/09/2010 21:09, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:56:51 +0100
> Robert Milkowski<milek@task.gda.pl>  wrote:
>

>>> Technically you also have Nexenta, though I personally don't know
>>> how much better it actually is. Recent developments have also made
>>> me wonder about the possibility of a Debian GNU/Illumos or whatever
>>> it would be called.
>>>
>> Well, that's what Nexenta is, isn't it?
>> I mean it is based on Debian + Solaris kernel (including zfs, dtrace,
>> ...) - and yes, it does use dpkg, etc.
>>
> Yes and no. They're not part of the Debian project, and I thought they
> had forked some tools like APT to take advantage of zfs snapshots for
> upgrades and other Solaris foo.
>
> My impression is that it is certainly Debian-like, but it is by no means
> Debian. But it's not like I've been following Nexenta very closely.

AFAIK it is still the case and they are not offcially part of the Debian
project although I think that's the goal.

Not that it matters that much (if anything) to end-users...

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com