[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Robert Milkowski milek@task.gda.pl
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:30:40 +0100

On 30/09/2010 15:00, Stephan Wiesand wrote:

> Alas, ZFS is only available with an OS that's *really* troublesome to maintain. Frankly, I wouldn't mind the cost. But those patch orgies make Solaris a no-go here. And two decades after the invention of RPMS and DEBs, they come up with ... IPS.

What's wrong with IPS?
Or is it that you tried an early version in-development?

IMHO it is actually better than RPM or DEB.
And yes, with Solaris 11/IPS all the patching nightmare is gone...

Actually if you are doing manual upgrades what's really cool is IPS +
Boot Environments. Basically you can update an OS on a cloned root-fs
and reboot when it is done and you are ready - something is wrong you
reboot back to original environment. All of that with one command + very
quickly thanks to ZFS clones.
Well, that's much better than crossing your finger when updating a rpm
based distribution (although Fedora guys are working on something
similar base on btrfs, but it will take some years to be production
ready...).

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com