[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS callbacks

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:20:45 -0500

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:49:43 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> What it means is that an application which has read() some data from a
> file won't be notified by the cache manager that that data has
> changed. There's no mechanism in POSIX for the kernel to do so.

Just wondering... this made me think of FAM/Gamin which provide a
functionality for similar situations (though obviously requires more
setup than just read()ing file data). What is the state of our
interaction with such mechanisms? inotify, FEM, etc.

I think I remember looking into this on Linux a long time ago, but I
think I discovered that inotify interaction required GPL-only symbols.
Any idea if that's correct / still the case? And I suppose some kind of
cache pinning support in the client would be required for any hope of
reasonably accurate results across different clients?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net