[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS] AW: Re: [OpenAFS] Windows client Cygwin and symlinks on afs volume

Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:55:33 -0400

--------------enigC02E3655C0D48CBD90930761

On 4/12/2011 10:23 AM, Axel M=C3=BCller wrote:
>> On Windows all AFS symlinks are created using the tool
>>
>>   symlink.exe make <direntry> <target>
>>
> And when you create the symlinks from a Linux machine?=20
> Perhaps my description was unclear. Here is what I did:
> - login to afs from a Linux client
> - create a symlink to a directory: ln -s DIR LinkToDir
> - login to afs from a Windows client
> - open AFS in Explorer =3D> LinkToDir is shown as a normal directory
> - open Cygwin bash
> - ls LinkToDir =3D> "Error: LinkToDir is not a directory"

It doesn't matter how the afs symlink is created because the AFS cache
manager does not expose symlinks to Windows.  A Windows directory entry
has to specify the object as either a FILE or a DIRECTORY.  The AFS
cache manager parses the symlink target until it finds the object in
question.  If it is readable, the actual type of object is specified for
the symlink entry.  If it is not readable, a guess is made based upon
the object name to decide if the object is advertised as a FILE or a
DIRECTORY.

Whatever the failure is, it is not because of how the symlink is
created.  Determine which Win32 File Operation is failing using Process
Monitor and discuss that.  The fact that the object is a symlink is a
red-herring.

Jeffrey Altman